Estimated reading time: 5 minutes
Valentine’s Day is around the block. You’ve set the date, planned your outfit and can’t stop daydreaming about the big day. Chances are, you have also found a gift they’ll love (and if not, there’s still some time to check out these unique Valentine’s Day gifts for everyone). Now all that’s left to do is to get creative and write that oh-so-perfect Valentine’s Day card message. Whether your Valentine is your partner, your best friend, a sibling, your parents, your pet or even yourself, the right words can go a long way in showing how much you care.
But sometimes it’s hard to come up with a good Valentine’s card message (trying to put all your feelings on paper can leave you staring at a blank page!). So here, we’ve compiled 40+ Valentine’s Day card messages and sayings to help you get started. Use them as a part of your own message or by themselves – either way, these are some pretty sweet things to write in a Valentine’s card.
Romantic Valentine’s Day card messages
Romance and Valentine’s Day are two peas in a pod. And if you’re a hopeless romantic at heart, the world around has a lot of inspiration to provide for your Valentine’s Day card message. Sprinkle in your love letter quotes from movies, stories, poems and songs to pen the most romantic of Valentine’s Day card messages. Extra points if the line you’re borrowing also happens to be their favourite or is something on which you both connect.
- In your light, I learn how to love. In your beauty, how to make poems. You dance inside my chest where no-one sees you, but sometimes I do, and that sight becomes this art. (poem by Rumi)
- If you remember me, then I don’t care if everyone else forgets. (Haruki Murakami, novel ‘Kafka on the Shore’)
- For the two of us, home isn’t a place. It is a person, and we are finally home (Stephanie Perkins, novel ‘Anna and the French Kiss’). Happy Valentine’s!
- Love is just a word until someone comes along and gives it meaning (Paulo Coelho, book ‘Manuscript Found in Accra’). And for me that person has always been you. You are all my reasons. Happy Valentine’s Day!
- You want the moon? Just say the word, and I’ll throw a lasso around it and pull it down. (movie ‘It’s a Wonderful Life’)
- You complete me. (movie ‘Jerry Maguire’)
- It seems right now that all I’ve ever done in my life is making my way here to you (movie ‘The Bridges of Madison County’). Happy Valentine’s Day, love.
- Then you walked in and my heart went, “Boom!” (Phillipa Soo & Original Broadway Cast of ‘Hamilton’, song ‘Helpless’). Happy Valentine’s Day, sweetheart.
- Some day, when I’m awfully low, when the world is cold, I will feel a glow just thinking of you and the way you look tonight. (Frank Sinatra, song ‘The Way You Look Tonight’)
- I hope it’s okay if I love you forever. (movie ‘A Star is Born’)
Valentine’s Day messages for him (the husband/boyfriend)
- Each time, you happen to me all over again. (Edith Wharton, novel ‘The Age of Innocence’)
- Beating out of my chest, my heart is holding onto you… From the moment I knew, from the moment I knew. (Sara Bareilles, song ‘The Light’)
- You’re my soulmate and my sidekick, thanks for being by my side, dear husband. I love you!
Valentine’s Day messages for her (the wife/girlfriend)
- And I’d choose you; in a hundred lifetimes, in a hundred worlds, in any version of reality, I’d find you and I’d choose you. (Kiersten White, book ‘The Chaos of Stars’)
- I want all of you, forever, you and me, every day. (movie ‘The Notebook’)
- You make me want to be a better man. (movie ‘As Good as it Gets’)
Cute Valentine’s Day card messages
We may not want to admit it, but we all have a soft spot for puppy love. So if you are looking for cute things to write in your Valentine’s card, go cheesy and punny to get your message across. These Valentine’s card messages and sayings are sure to hit the spot.
Anxious about asking them out or want to go the extra mile in gifting your Valentine? Say ‘I love you’ without saying ‘I love you’ with these custom photo gift ideas.
- Love is too weak a word for what I feel — I lurve you. (movie ‘Annie Hall’)
- Now I know what Olaf meant. Some people are worth melting for (movie ‘Frozen’).
- Love is being stupid together. (quote by Paul Valery)
- Some people care too much. I think it’s called love. (A. A. Milne, book ‘Winnie-the-Pooh’)
- You’re my lobster. (TV show ‘F.R.I.E.N.D.S’)
- Wishing you a bear-y sweet Valentine’s Day, snuggle bear!
- I know it’s cheesy, but we’re meant to brie.
- Any chance you have an extra heart? Mine’s been stolen!
- Roses are red, violets are blue. Even if you make me mad, I’ll still love you!
Cheeky and funny Valentine’s Day card messages
Are you and your Valentine the kind of people who love to prank and goof around, know each other’s quirks like the back of their hands and are always up for a good laugh? Send them a love note that’s packed full of sass. Here are some funny Valentine’s Day card messages to help you get started. Be ready for that snappy comeback, though!
- Love is patient, love is kind, love means slowly losing your mind (movie, ‘27 Dresses’). I think we’re there already, honey. Lots and lots of love to you on Valentine’s Day!
- To the lucky lady/dude who has me for another Valentine’s Day, I say, “Congratulations!”
- Congrats – you are officially my favourite weirdo!
- I suppose you’ll do…Happy Valentine’s Day.
- I love you just as much as I love cancelled plans. Sending you loads of Valentine’s Day hugs! P.S. But don’t CANCEL our plan though.
- I’d let you have the last slice of pizza. Now if that’s not love, I don’t know what is. Happy Valentine’s Day!
- Roses are red, violets are blue. I ordered ice-cream and a few scoops might be for you…Happy Valentine’s Day, babe!
- Roses are red, relationships are tough. The reason I love you is ‘cause we hate the same stuff.
Happy Valentine’s Day card messages for your squad
Love isn’t always romantic. So how to write Valentine’s messages that celebrate all kinds of love? We’ve got you covered – just sit back and say hello to these heartfelt Valentine’s Day messages. Pro tip – the more you add your personal touch to these Valentine’s card sayings, the better are the chances you’ll leave them smiling, blushing and teary-eyed.
- My heart swells with pride as I write you this note. You’ve always been the best, champ! Happy Valentine’s.
- Remember the Sunday pies mum used to make when we were kids? Well, they remind me of home and of you, baby sister. Happy Valentine’s Day.
- I hope you find a date this Valentine’s Day. Weirdo.
For friends and galentines
- You’re the North Star to all my crazy. I don’t know what I’d do without you. Stay sane, perhaps? Cheers to the madness that’s us. Happy Valentine’s Day, sweetie.
- Thanks for always having my back, buddy. Happy Valentine’s!
- To the gossips, the belly laughs, the wine, the pizza and to you, my dear best friend – Happy Heart’s Day!
- After all these years, I still don’t know how you manage it all. You’ll always be my hero. Happy Valentine’s Day!
- To the world’s coolest mom ever, Happy Valentine’s Day! I love you.
- If you’re looking for your glasses to read this card, I think you left them again on the coffee table. Ok – now that you’ve found them, I just wanted to tell you, Pops, that I love you. You are the greatest. Happy Valentine’s!
- Happy Valentine’s Day, my sweet child! I am so proud of all that you do, and I am forever grateful for all that we share.
- Knock, knock! It’s Valentine’s o’clock! You’re my favourite person, and you rock!
- Roses are red, violets are blue. Clean your room, sweet boo.
- See how far you’ve come. Keep going! You do you.
- Today me will live in the moment unless it’s unpleasant, in which case me will eat a cookie. (TV show ‘Sesame Street’)
- This Valentine’s Day, promise to give yourself just a quarter of the love you give the world. Cherish the beauty that is you. Happy Valentine’s Day.