Estimated reading time: 8 minutes
Your logo is the face of your business. It’s your visual identity and often the first thing that customers notice about you. So whether you’re just starting out, looking to expand or planning to refresh your branding, a professional-looking logo is a must for your marketing.
However, getting the perfect logo can feel a bit overwhelming at times, especially if – you’re not a designer, have a limited budget or need to create a logo on the fly. Under these circumstances, a free logo maker online might just be the thing that you need. In this article, we explore the ins and outs of this online DIY tool. Let’s go!
What is an online logo maker
An online logo creator is a web-based tool that helps you create professional-quality logos – without the need for much design experience. It’s a DIY application with a user-friendly interface where you input simple information (like business name, industry, choice of imagery, etc.) and receive an eye-catching logo at the other end.
Why you should use an online logo maker
Online logo creators help you create a custom logo in minutes and are usually free to use. You’re an ideal candidate for an online logo creator if you:
- Have a limited budget: Especially as a new business, you may not have a large budget for branding. Using a free logo-design creator online can be a cost-effective option.
Online logo creators like Logomaker by Vista are free to use – you can create as many versions of your logo you need to get the look you want, without having to worry about the cost.
- Have only basic design skills: Online logo makers typically have user-friendly interfaces that make it easy for anyone to create a logo, regardless of their design experience.
- Have a tight schedule: Creating a logo with an online logo maker is relatively quick and all within your control; it doesn’t require you to schedule meetings or wait for a designer to create a concept for you. Plus, it can be accessed from anywhere (all you need is a good internet connection!)
- Need a temporary logo: If you’re in the process of starting a business, you may want a temporary logo to use until you’re ready to invest in a more permanent one.
- Need ideas to create your logo: A free logo design creator can be your online sketchbook in the logo-making process. It offers various templates and options to create a simple logo that captures your overall design strategy. You can then present it to a professional designer to give them a sense of what you need.
Get inspired! Browse through a wide range of logos before you start designing your own. This can help spark your creativity and lead to unique logo design ideas that you may not have considered otherwise.
- Want to craft your own logo. Many online logo makers help you to choose from a variety of templates and customisation options – including a choice of text, imagery, colours and more. The flexibility of these tools let you experiment and create as many design versions as you’d like; so you’ll end up with a logo that’s perfectly matched to your business and needs.
How to use an online logo maker
Using an online logo creator is generally a straightforward process. Choose a reputable and user-friendly logo creator to start with.
Creating your logo can be quick, easy and free with Logomaker by Vista. Here’s a step-by-step guide on using our online tool:
Step 1: Visit Logomaker by Vista and ‘Start creating’.
Step 2: Share your basic details with the Logomaker wizard: business name, industry (you can add your own/pick from our drop-down suggestions), tagline, keywords that describe your ideal logo image and places you want your logo to work.
Step 3: Browse the generated (personalised) logo options and pick a favourite.
Step 4 (optional): Choose your layout, size and colours, then add your choice of graphics, text and more to the selected logo template.
Step 5: Preview your logo once you’re happy with your design. See how it’d look in the wild when made live – on your website, your business card and beyond. Not loving the look? You can always go back and re-edit.
Step 6: Download your logo and get ready to impress! Logomaker by Vista shares your design files in a variety of formats (.png, .svg, .pdf and more) so you can scale and use your logo anywhere you like.
How to design a good logo
Designing a good logo requires careful consideration of several key elements:
- Understand your brand. Before starting to design your logo, it’s important to have a clear understanding of your business’ identity, values and goals. This will help you create a logo that accurately represents your business and resonates with your target audience. For example, the logo design of an upcoming yoga studio would feature different colours, fonts and motifs than that of a family-run restaurant.
- Keep it simple. A good logo should be simple, memorable and easily recognisable. Avoid cluttering your logo with too many design elements or complicated graphics. Take advantage of white space and element hierarchy to create balance, clarity and visual appeal.
- Choose the right colours. Colours play an important role in creating a strong brand identity. For your logo, choose font and background colour(s) that reflect your brand’s personality and evoke the desired emotional response from your target customers.
- Pick the right font. The font you choose for your logo should also be on-brand. Avoid overly decorative or trendy fonts that may be difficult to read or become dated quickly.
- Be versatile. Your logo should be versatile enough to work across a variety of mediums and sizes, from business cards to billboards to brochures. Make sure your logo looks great in colour and also in black and white and can be scaled up or down without losing quality.
- Be timeless. Your logo should also be able to stand the test of time. So, design one that remains relevant and effective for years to come, rather than being tied to any popular trends or fads.
Being timeless, however, shouldn’t mean that your logo shouldn’t evolve. Over time, it may be necessary to update your logo to keep it relevant and fresh. Think of how the logos of big players like Apple and Google have changed over time.
- Make it unique. A good logo should be unique and distinguishable. Keep an eye out on what your competitors are doing and use that as inspiration to create something original. A logo that reflects your unique style makes you easily recognisable.
- Get feedback. Once you have a few logo design options, seek feedback from family, friends or some of your existing/potential customers to get a sense of what works and what doesn’t. This can help you refine your design and create a logo that’s ready to hit the market and impress your customer base.
How much does it cost to make a logo
The cost of making a logo can vary widely depending on several factors, including the complexity of the design, the level of customisation required and the experience and expertise of the designer (which – in the case of most online logo makers – is you). Here are your options when creating a logo:
- Do-It-Yourself: If you use an online logo creator or design the logo yourself using a design software, the cost of creating the logo will be minimal or even free.
- Freelance designer or design agency: The cost of hiring a designer or an agency to create a custom logo varies, depending on their level of experience and the complexity of your design.
99designs by Vista hosts a community of trusted freelance designers who can help you design a logo. The platform in collaboration with VistaPrint also offers an essential logo & brand consultation package. Under this, you can get a custom logo designed from scratch by a design expert of your choice. (No stocks or templates are used to make sure you receive a logo that is both unique and ownable.) Plus, you get a free branding consultation from Vista experts, to help you bring your designed logo to life. Alternatively, you can also host a design contest at 99designs by Vista (starting at $449), to get a great logo designed.
Are online logo makers free?
There are many online logo makers available, and some of them offer free logo design options, while others charge a fee. A free logo designing tool can be useful for creating a basic logo for your business easily and cost-effectively.
How to create your own business logo for different platforms
Creating a great logo is a work of art, and like any work of art, it takes time and effort – so (if your schedule allows it) don’t rush the process. Take the time to create a logo that accurately represents your brand and resonates with your target audience. Here are some logo design ideas for a few popular online platforms:
- Using a logo maker for YouTube: Consider using bold (brand-appropriate) colours in your logo to stand out on YouTube. It’s also good to optimise your logo to look good on different screen sizes, including mobile devices. You can even think of adding simple animations, such as a rotating element or a subtle movement.
- Using a logo maker for Shopify: Consider where you’ll place your logo on your Shopify store, such as on the header or footer. Make sure it’s visible and prominent without overpowering other design elements.
- Using a logo maker for Instagram: Position of your logo is also crucial here. Keep a tab on where you’re placing your logo on your Instagram account, such as in your profile picture, story highlights or as a watermark on your posts. Make sure your logo is scalable and visible everywhere without overpowering other design elements.